Monday, April 27, 2009

war

i have been at war. i am armed with shovel, spade, rake and trash bags, and i feel as though i am losing the battle with..................................our garden spot.....or the potential of a garden spot anyway. i have bagged 30 large trash bags of sticks, branches, and weeds, this past week. and i am only HALF-WAY done! what the what? i have raged everyday for more than a few hours getting down to what i am praying to be decent earth to grow produce in. BAH!!! i'm glad i didn't join the army.

but on the plus side, we are so blessed that our landlords are letting us use their yard for a garden, i have a better tan in late april than i did last august. i shower twice a day. once in the morning after running and once at night after being outside in the yard all day and nova loves being outside, and while i have anxiously been bagging, shoveling, sweating and pseudo-swearing she has probably consumed 15-30 leaves. she loves them, and i look over from the garden and she is squealing with grass, and leaves coming out of her mouth......crazy nut. hopefully there isn't a lot of protein in dead leaves, or we're in trouble. i'll try to get a picture. i am hoping that by tomorrow the garden war will nearly be over since we need to be PLANTING not PLOWING ASAP. but here is a pic of it at the beginning.....it doesn't do it ANY justice. i made it bigger to give you somewhat of a better idea. (please note the fence. you have no idea how tempting it is just to throw all the crap over it onto the neighbors side......but that would be rude, and seeing that national rude day isn't anywhere in the near future, i bag it in nice large black trash bags.......sigh.......i just know that by the time we get it cleaned and planted, we'll probably move....(which i think is dan's secret prayer, since he doesn't like his job much.)


















and here is a random tidbit -- last friday was national pretzel day. yum. i made homemade pretzels and kind of forgot about them while they were raising....needless to say they were eNoUrmOusLy eNourMous. perhaps i should get a timer. sorry no pics.

my cousin kelsi had a birthday last monday and i ventured to make a cake. she loves moose. meese? hmmm.....anyway, so i did my best in making a moose cake because she is totally an outstanding person......needless to say i am waiting for the foodnetwork to call me to start my own show.















and here are some pics of nova by some of our flowers.....man i love this kid! and some of her getting dressed....

4 comments:

Margaret said...

It looks like your garden spot has been a big job! Take a picture and let us see how it is looking now, even if you aren't quite done. I LOVE the pictures of Nova. I can't wait to see her this weekend.

Margaret said...

The cake is totally awesome!! Good job!

the ginabean said...

I feel for ya with the garden war. Not that I personally am at war with nature...but my roommate (whose house/yard it is) has been in the same battle. Only I think you've gotten much further than she has. I think there's no way we can have a garden this year.

Um, by the by, your kid is one of the cutest kids in the entire human race. Just so you know.

Aaaand...I would totally buy a cable package if you had your own show on the food network. (Gosh, I love that channel anyway!)

Doug and Julie said...

I totally understand about the garden Last year I went through the same thing and when I finally planted and had things growing, I went to Burley for the weekend. I came home and grasshoppers had eaten everything green. In the end all I got were the onions because they were under the ground. It was pretty disappointing after all of the work that a garden is. This year I am going to buy grasshopper spray, do they make that? Good luck with your garden I hope it goes better than mine did.