Saturday, December 13, 2008

don't cry over spilled milk.....

i don't even quite know where to begin with this entry. i guess i can only start at the beginning. yesterday i was perusing blogs and such and came upon the following picture at the better homes and gardens website.



















first of all....clever! i loved the idea on the top left hand corner--snowman drink----the donut holes and glasses of milk.....well that idea led to another and i decided that we would have a white christmas dinner! oh, how fun i thought to myself.......BUT, i didn't necessarily have donut holes laying around in my pantry, or clear skinny glasses...and i HATE going to the store, especially if i have already been there ONCE already in a week. (i like to plan and do all my errands on one day so i don't haul nova all over ogden and collect germs along the way....i know i am paranoid....but no one likes a sick kid.....ANYWAY......) despite my dislike for the shopping idea, i did need a prescription anyway and decided to once again travel into the outside world.

we ran to the dollar store for some skinny tall glasses. then to walmart to fill my prescription AND to pick up donut holes---which they didn't have, so i got powdered donuts instead thinking i could make it work (and i also picked up milk and bread and some other necessary things so i could count this as NEXT weeks trip to the store as well. so i got the other items for the things on next weeks menu, badda-bing, badda-boom. done. well sorta. the nice pharmacist at wal-mart.....which i hate the wal-mart here....that is another blog and another time....told me it would be another HOUR before my prescription would be ready. normally i would say, what-ev, i roll with the punches, but i had a hungry child in the cart and decided i would just run back tomorrow without nova, while dan was home.....i wasn't about to breastfeed in public. PLUS i had a totally awesome white christmas dinner to decorate for! holla! so we toodled home.

we pulled in, i grabbed the car-seat in one arm, and grabbed my other groceries and my purse and my gallon of milk in the other and started the trek down our sidewalk to our door.

ok, i don't really know how to explain what happened next, and i am even embarrassed to try. i started up the sidewalk that is slightly inclined and then i ate some cement. i biffed it. i tripped, i ate it, i fell like i have never fallen before. it happened so fast, i didn't even have time to let my life flash before me. first my right knee hit, then my mouth and nose decided to connect with the asphalt. oh, and somewhere in the middle, my left hip took the brunt of the fall as well--i don't remember that part. being loaded down with child and groceries i couldn't even catch myself. i thought i had broken teeth AND bloodied my nose.........but it wasn't blood, it was my MILK---my milk had exploded, disintegrated over our sidewalk and i was laying in the white mess.

seriously. it. was. everywhere.

i quickly got up to make sure nova was ok--she was thankfully. she was smiling, and wondering why her blanket wasn't over her car seat anymore. i grabbed her and carried her into the house, ran back out and carried my milky grocery sacks and set them by the front door, ran back and picked up the pieces of milk carton, and took a jug of water out to rinse off the milk, my pride and my face off the sidewalk, AND i needed to cover the evidence because i tripped RIGHT in front of our landlords front door.

'SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?' i kept thinking. 'did that really just happen?' i ran back in the house to wash my hands and changed out of my milky clothes so i could feed my hungry child. i didn't know whether to laugh....because i KNEW it was hilarious, or cry because my chin was scratched, my knee was swollen and i already had a huge gash and bruise forming on my hip. i fed nova and changed her diaper and then went to survey the damage after situating her on the floor with some toys. my milk was obviously destroyed and had previously been rinsed off the sidewalk. my milk had also destroyed and soggy-ed my 2 loaves of bread. and last but certainly not least, my white, tall, skinny glasses you ask? CRUSHED!!!! CURSE THAT CRACK IN THE SIDEWALK!!!!!

SO......to end this senseless rambling, i still did our white christmas dinner even though it wasn't that cool because i didn't have the cool snowman drink---i just made snowman out of my powdered donuts. we didn't make snowflakes to hang above our table because i was in kind of a crusty mood. but here are some picks of our dinner---a day i never want to repeat. and today i feel like i was hit by a a very large semi truck. (and i know....the soup is yellow....but what ev)


































and here are some pics of nova




























and a picture of the hole in our bathroom ceiling.....but it has been fixed thanks to our awesome landlords!

4 comments:

the ginabean said...

That. Sucks. I didn't even laugh at this one...I was too worried about your welfare and your child. I'm glad you're okay and that your teeth didn't, in fact, bust out of your mouth. And that Nova was okay and even smiling; I'm sure that helped a bit, yes?

I'm sorry your white dinner didn't turn out as you would've liked; I just think you're super fun to even come up with ideas like this! And I think your powdered doughnut snowmen are DARLING! (I heart snowmen!)

Hope you're feeling better!

Andersen said...

Oh man i feel like crying and laughing as well. That is no fun... it amazes me that you still had the energy to make such a cute dinner and decorations for your family. What a true sign of a good wife and mother. I probably would have just cried.

Heather said...

One time I went to Broulims to get milk. When I was getting into the car, I set one of the gallons on top of the car while I was trying to unlock the door. Yeah, it slid off and exploded everywhere in the parking lot and on myself. I think I did cry. What a waste of a whole gallon of milk--I know how you feel! But I think your meal still turned out really cute!

Margaret said...

All this mom can say is that I wish I had been there to give you a hug and help clean up your sidewalk and your pride. I love you and am proud of you for still having your white christmas dinner. Nova's a cutie as usual. Love you!