Sunday, July 27, 2008

a personal moment

i have decided to blog on something that is very personal and intimate. it is a topic that you may choose not to pursue in reading, but its something i just need to get off my chest----literally. like i said, if this is TMI or too much information, feel free to skip to paragraph 5. (disclaimer: please note that if this causes permanent scarring or emotional damage, i will not be held responsible---you need to take responsibility for you own actions. read at your own risk. thank you.)

the topic is breast-pumping. yes, that would be the pumping of the breast----it isn't too late to move to paragraph 5. with the whole PKU issue, i get to nurse every other feeding--thankfully---each time i nurse i have to pump to make sure i'm all empty, and when i don't nurse, and she is drinking her delicious---and nutritious----meal of Phenex 1, i use my new found friend and enemy, "THE PUMP" meaning the breast pump. or we could call it the no rest pump, either would apply. so every 3 er so hours i hook up to the milk machine and extract liquid from my body---which is anything but comfortable. if you calculate that nova eats at least 8 times a day and i pump at every feeding for at least 30 minutes-----that is 28 hours a week--my math skills are impressive i know---that is at least a COMPLETE day of my week that i am hooked to the milker. and that my friends is sick. and that is why i am blogging about it---perhaps it will prove to be therapeutic.

i grew up on a farm and i always wondered why the cows were so crabby and would kick as the milkers were attached. needless to say, i no longer wonder. the most horrifying part is that i am the one attaching THE PUMP to myself. is it legal or kosher to kick myself for inflicting uncomfortable-ness? did that sentence make any sense? NO! THE PUMP is making me crazy! the whole pumping experience would be even more annoying if i whacked myself every time i hooked up. (i would probably look hilarious however.....)

sigh, ok, so that is a bit of an exaggeration. do i dislike the pumping......yes. does it consume my day at times? yes. is it what i need to do so that i can continue to nurse and allow nova's diet to fluctuate? yes. i got some encouraging words from my sister-in-law yesterday and i feel better. i will embrace THE PUMP, i will be THE PUMP, i will love THE PUMP. i will conquer THE PUMP. i will however, not kiss the pump. that is asking too much. who knows where its been.....well, i know, which is why there will be no kissing of the pump. whew! i feel better after letting that all out.

so you decided to skip the intimate details of suzanne's life eh? i don't blame you, it was pretty personal. for those of you who just finished, i hope i haven't scarred you for life. don't say i didn't warn you. for those of you who skipped the blog and only look for the pics---look a little later---nova looks DANG cute today, but she is currently napping, so when she awakes, we will post a picture. but until then, i think i'll go pump.


the infamous phenex-1---nova loves it, and she chugs it!

7 comments:

Margaret said...

Your life definitely has changed but even with the sleepless days and nights it's going to be a good change. She looked so cute on the webcam - I just want to give her a hug and kiss. Hope you get some sleep. Love you all.

mattyanddeidre said...

Oh My Goodness I know exactly how you feel. I was not prepared for the pump. I had heard about it, but thought it was only for moms who were going back to work. In the hospital when they told how I needed to pump after every feeding (we were there a week) I was like, okay, I can handle this, only a week. NOPE! I had to pump for an entire month or longer. That may not be as long as you have to, but I literally cried. I hate pumping and always will. If you conquer the pump, props to you my friend. Good luck!

Amber said...

I guess that is one advantage of adopting! Have no clue what you are talking about, but I feel bad for you none the less. Let me know when you come home again, now that we live here! We need to let our girls meet each other :)

Ryan and Maria said...

Suzanne maybe you should let Amber try the milker, just for the experience. I know Maria loved it.

Ryan

PS. I know, I'm a guy and shouldn't even be reading this stuff. Please forgive me. :)

Amy said...

Good luck with the pump! I totally feel your pain! Hang in there though! -Amy

Andersen said...

I had so much milk i had to breast feed and also pump out milk or i would die of ouchyness and an extremely wet top until i would pump! I think the worst part about the pump is hooking up both breast and pumping on both sides at the same time and feeling completely exposed and...pointing out there. Being a mom changes your life in many ways.

Kelli said...

Sue! I missed seeing you at our little 5 year reunion, but I guess I understand...a new baby and all. Your little Nova is beautiful! I hope I get to meet her soon.